Saturday, October 1, 2016

We have need for more of the word of God

I wonder how many of us, when thinking of going to Sunday school again or watching another session of General Conference, have thought "I've already heard this stuff... I've already had this lesson..." and then silently resign to boredom or ignorance. I know that I have, at times, been tested with this sort of feeling. In reading the Book of Mormon this week, I noticed that Nephi makes clear that even the people of the church of Jesus Christ and humble followers of Christ will be tempted to think that they "have received the word of God and [they] need no more the word of God, for [they] have enough."

In response to that, Nephi gives us this thought:
    "...thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." (2 Nephi 28:30)

I am confident that at every stage of life we are all in need of more of the word of God. Even the same basic doctrines, when taught repeatedly, can become new again as we learn more about them. In this season of General Conference I am grateful for a God who will never stop speaking, and a God who promises that he will not just teach us once but "will give more" as we receive what he is saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment