Saturday, September 24, 2016

"For the Lord God will help me.."

As I sat in almost sheer panic this morning, the LSAT looming only one hour in front of me, I knew I needed more than my own preparation and confidence to get me through the test. Of course I had prayed for help, and I believed the Lord would help... but I wondered if i deserved His help. And I wondered what I had to do to receive that help. As so often happens, my morning scripture study blew my mind and caved my heart concerning my worries:
"For thus saith the Lord: Have I put thee away, or have I cast thee off forever?... To whom have I put thee away? ... Yea to whom have I sold you? Behold for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves... Wherefore, when I came there was no man; when I called yea there was none to answer."(2 Nephi 7:1)
In these verses the Lord makes it clear that we are the only ones who can choose to separate ourselves from the help of God. Then he reassures us that he is in fact still there, still caring and still all powerful:
"Is my hand shortened at all that it cannot redeem, or have I no power to deliver? Behold, at my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make their rivers a wilderness..." (v. 2)
I believe, I've experienced and I testify, along with Isaiah, that "The Lord God will help me" (v. 7) and that "help" is never taken away by God.  He is always there to support us and strengthen us, beyond what we would be able, in our righteous desires. While reading these verses, and while taking the LSAT, I could feel the reality of God's love and help. Nothing helped subside my fears like that knowledge and those feelings. He truly does help us in our times of need.



No comments:

Post a Comment