Monday, November 28, 2016

"With everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee"

Among all of the truths taught by Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon -- almost none are more precious to me than the truth that I can repent. Nothing, in my mind, is more aching to the soul than to realize that I really have offended God and gone against what I know is right to do.  In those moments, even while fully recognizing that literally everyone has sinned and messed up like me, it still sometimes feels like I can never be forgiven. That I can never be good and clean again.  That I will always have this sin in my pocket -- no matter how bad I wish I could re-do something. For these moments, when we have lost the spirit of the Lord because of sin, Christ gives us this promise: "For a small moment have I forsaken thee, but with great mercies will I gather thee... with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee... my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed." (3 Nephi 22: 7-10) There are two important truths that I have learned to love from these verses:

1. Sin separates us from God. -- As painful as that sounds and as hard as it may be to come to terms with, it is true.  It IS possible to lose the presence of God and offend his spirit that it is not with us. However, whether or not we do that is within our control.
2. God's mercy, kindness, and peace do not have to be permanently removed. -- We are promised that as we turn to God, recognize what we have done, and take the steps to repent, we can be fully forgiven and enjoy the kindness and peace of the Lord. It may be hard to comprehend, and Satan will tempt you to think otherwise -- but it is completely true.  We can be completely forgiven through the Lord's mercy and have peace restored to a life that is in distress.

Repentance really is the most hopeful word in this gospel -- every single one of us will need it, so you never need feel alone in the process. And remember, the Lord says that even when we do sin and need to repent, it does not have to be a long dreary process -- he himself describes it as "a small moment." I don't know exactly how it works, and situations vary, but I imagine the Lord will not hesitate even a moment longer than necessary in coming to our aid when we ask. Our sins will not define us nor confine us, that is the truth found in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment