Saturday, November 19, 2016

"Whoso cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive"

Working at a preschool, I get to spend a fair amount of time around little children every day and what has impressed me the most is there complete willingness to love. Without any compulsory means or sweet-talking, they instinctively reach out to hold my hand or give me a hug ... hardly knowing me! In any card I receive from them, I never fail to get a number of "I love you's". In fact, the other day a little girl was telling me about her new stuffed animal and before I knew it she was spouting out her home address asking me to come to her house and visit! They love first -- and question second. I thought of this as I read what Christ himself told the Nephites about what the Kingdom of God is like: "Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the Kingdom of God." (3 Nephi 9:22) It's easy to see why Christ cherishes children so much -- they cherish Him. Among other wonderful characteristics, children remind us of the true essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ. And despite all of the things we need to teach them, we would do well to take a view notes in the process. Afterall, in the words of President Uchtdorf: "Love is the defining characteristic of a disciple of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment